Saturday, May 26, 2012

A tough 3 months for my little guy. Anyone have any insights/suggestions??


We are going on 87 days, just about 3 months, of Ezra being almost constantly sick. We have maybe had 3 consecutive days of wellness with him.  It all started the day we got back from Hawaii and he had major diarrhea 10X/day for over a week. We took him in at that time to see the doctor at that time did a stool culture, which was normal, got diagnosed with his first ear infection. At that time he was about 25% for weight he is now below 5%: failure to thrive :( 
Since that time: we have been making weekly visits to the doctor, he has been on 6 different antibiotics, has had 3 abnormal chest x-rays specifically in the right lower lobe, 5 blood draws with another happening next week, CBC showing bands (bacterial) and lymphocytes (viral),elevated C-reactive protein (CRP), hospitalized for 3 days on IV fluids and strong IV antibiotics, has had ear infections every time but once when we have gone to the doctor,  fevers fevers & more fevers, thrush (due to antibiotics), had a very abnormal looking hive looking rash lasting 3 days that would appear for an hour or two then disappear to somewhere else… has another one now but a bit more normal like- doctor is calling this one roseola. Ezra does not go to daycare has been to the MOPs childcare once and our church childcare once too. He also went to the ophthalmologist for some head tilting/nodding and she thinks he was maybe nearsighted and we are rechecking his vision again in a couple months~ since then I have figured out his head nodding most likely has to do with fluid in his ears. He has not had any vaccines since he has been 4 months due to being so unhealthy.  
We are feeling helpless with this little guy. He probably doesn’t even know what it is like to feel normal and healthy. Luckily, he is a happy guy even though he has been sick. 2012-05-10 09.54.17Here he is getting a chest x-ray. First, Ezra wasn’t even crying and then I even had Ezra laughing while in the device. The guy doing the x-ray said one he has never seen an infant not cry while in this and was even more flabbergasted that I actually had him laughing. That just tells you what a laid back happy baby Ezra is…even when he is sick.
Next week we are doing another blood draw and doing a bunch of tests to check for why he seems to have such a weak immune system. He is also seeing ENT about putting tubes in his ears~Anil is not too sure about doing this, I am at the point if it helps~ but I also wonder about him going under general anesthesia with his lung issue. I suppose they will probably do another chest x-ray to see how his RLL is looking. I hate that he is being exposed to so much radiation.
We have been really missing Mayo Clinic since all this has been happening. Our doctor here is great and will do whatever we want but at the same time we want her to have more ideas/potential solutions…she is the pediatrician not us.



IMG_0168 in the hospital with a respiratory rate of 50+ and retracting- however he did not need oxygen!

2012-04-27 12.35.28

IMG_0177love his smile!!



2012-05-10 09.17.39 miserable again.




Anyone have any insight/ideas?? Email me dipatel2007@gmail.com or call me.

**Update: Thanks to everyone who is praying for our little guy and for those that have called, emailed, texted, & of course fb us different ideas. We are so lucky to have such great friends & family concerned about Ezra too.


So we are still going to do a blood test for some different immunodeficiencies (T cell difiency & B-cell defiency, antibody response to va...ccines, manual CBC) tests this next week- IF we can get him healthy enough for those tests to be accurate. I am also going to request a food allergy test (IgE-?) if she hasn't ordered it yet. We have always thought that Ezra has some sort of allergies (he has ezema, some intolerances,& random hives) our pediatrician has always steered us away from that thought and has said that his illnesses don't fit the food allergies diagnoses. I figure we are already drawing blood why not add one more test. We are going to try to get some kind of sputum/snot from him (its been really stringy and blood tinged) and have that tested for different bugs. Lastly, we have decided to hold off on tubes for the ears and anything that would require more radiation or any kind of sedation~ At least for now.

Ahhhhh I would love for him just to be healthy and not put him thru any more of this medical stuff!!!

3 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear you all are going through such a difficult time:( What a blessing that Ezra has been such a trooper through all of the procedures and feeling sick all of the time. Thinking of you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart aches for you guys Diana! Such a difficult time for you all. I am so glad you have such a laid back, happy little one through all of this. I will keep you all in my prayers that things get figured out :/ Air hug!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel, in a way, like I'm reading my own story. Addie has been sick with respiratory and digestive issues for the past 5 months. She, too, is a content baby. Our next step is an endoscopy and bronchoscopy. I am a wreck. :( I, too, feel like Adelyn's immune system is less than it should be. Hang in there. I know first-hand how maddening and helpless you feel. Let me know what you guys find out down there. Perhaps we can swap suggestions for the Dr's. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Free Web Counter

The Saga Begins!

The Saga Begins!
August 10th 2007

Welcome Zahra Lynn Patel!

Welcome Zahra Lynn Patel!
Zahra's first breath! August 5th 2009 @ 5:38pm

Welcome Ezra Anil Patel!

Welcome Ezra Anil Patel!
Daddy delivering him on Sept 9th 2011